China to dismantle hundreds of pig farms to save river
Beijing: China will dismantle hundreds of pig and poultry farms along the southern
Xiangjiang river in order to save it from pollution.
Central China`s Hunan Province has decided to relocate or close hundreds of farms set up within 1,000 meters of the river and its tributaries by 2016.
Earlier this year China`s largest city, Shanghai, faced a grim situation after its main water source, the Huangpu River, was flooded with thousands of pig carcasses dumped by farms on its banks.
Hunan`s clean-up plan will cover 67 counties and cities, including Changsha, Xiangtan, Zhuzhou and Hengyang. The provincial environment protection department is investigating the number and the scale of the farms, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Known as the "mother river", Xiangjiang is a major water source for Hunan and runs 856 km across the province into China`s second-largest freshwater lake, Dongting.
Hunan is China`s top pig producer with annual production of 80 million. However, booming business has given rise to a major pollution problem, with an estimated 140 million tonnes of excrement released into the river.
Under the new plan, no farm will be allowed to be built within 1,000 meters of the Xiangjiang`s banks. The government will also provide technological support to the relocated farms to help them meet the official waste emission standard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000