China to focus on coal to battle smog
Beijing: The smoggiest regions in China, including the national capital Beijing, will focus on reduction of coal consumption to control pollution, officials said Wednesday.
Participants from the ministry of environmental protection and six provincial-level regions in north China Wednesday agreed to cap coal consumption, eliminating coal-fired heating equipment and promoting central heating, at an air pollution control conference here, Xinhua reported.
Other controls will be imposed on vehicles, oil quality, and industrial pollution, officials said.
Minister for Environmental Protection Zhou Shengxian said the central government would strengthen monitoring, forecasting, supervision and legislation, while making better use of technology to reduce pollution.
China`s ministry of finance has announced a $814 million reward for regions which successfully reduce air pollution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured