China to focus on coal to battle smog
Beijing: The smoggiest regions in China, including the national capital Beijing, will focus on reduction of coal consumption to control pollution, officials said Wednesday.
Participants from the ministry of environmental protection and six provincial-level regions in north China Wednesday agreed to cap coal consumption, eliminating coal-fired heating equipment and promoting central heating, at an air pollution control conference here, Xinhua reported.
Other controls will be imposed on vehicles, oil quality, and industrial pollution, officials said.
Minister for Environmental Protection Zhou Shengxian said the central government would strengthen monitoring, forecasting, supervision and legislation, while making better use of technology to reduce pollution.
China`s ministry of finance has announced a $814 million reward for regions which successfully reduce air pollution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN