China to focus on coal to battle smog
Beijing: The smoggiest regions in China, including the national capital Beijing, will focus on reduction of coal consumption to control pollution, officials said Wednesday.
Participants from the ministry of environmental protection and six provincial-level regions in north China Wednesday agreed to cap coal consumption, eliminating coal-fired heating equipment and promoting central heating, at an air pollution control conference here, Xinhua reported.
Other controls will be imposed on vehicles, oil quality, and industrial pollution, officials said.
Minister for Environmental Protection Zhou Shengxian said the central government would strengthen monitoring, forecasting, supervision and legislation, while making better use of technology to reduce pollution.
China`s ministry of finance has announced a $814 million reward for regions which successfully reduce air pollution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February