China to punish those growing or selling GM crops
Beijing: In a move to prevent illegal sales and growing of genetically modified (GM) crops, which are prohibited in the country, Chinese authorities have vowed zero tolerance and harsh punishment against offenders.
The step came following a media expose of GM rice being available on sale at a supermarket in central China.
"The ministry will punish any companies or individuals that ignore regulations to grow or sell GM grains," Global Times quoted the agriculture ministry as saying in a statement. "There will be no tolerance for those violating practices."
In a report, China Central Television (CCTV) showed how GM rice, prohibited for commercial purpose in the country, was available for sale in the supermarket in Hubei province.
The channel commissioned tests on five packs of rice picked at random from the supermarket`s shelves. Three of them were found to be containing a GM variety.
It was found that GM rice was being sold in Hunan, Anhui and Fujian provinces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Amartya Sen says Modi govt ousted him from Nalanda University
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends