China urges joint effort for sustainable development
Rio de Janeiro: Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao Wednesday urged the global community to make joint efforts to promote sustainable development.
"To jointly promote sustainable development, we should take a fair, just, open and inclusive approach," Wen said at the three-day UN Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20 summit), which opened Wednesday.
He stressed that countries around the globe should continue to work as partners, adhere to the Rio principles, "especially the principle of common but differentiated responsibilities", Xinhua reported.
He announced that China will contribute $6 million to a UN environment fund for projects and activities that help developing countries raise capacity for environmental protection.
He also promised that China will make available 200 million yuan (about $31 million) for a three-year international project to help small island countries, least developed countries and African countries tackle climate change.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town