China urges joint effort for sustainable development
Rio de Janeiro: Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao Wednesday urged the global community to make joint efforts to promote sustainable development.
"To jointly promote sustainable development, we should take a fair, just, open and inclusive approach," Wen said at the three-day UN Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20 summit), which opened Wednesday.
He stressed that countries around the globe should continue to work as partners, adhere to the Rio principles, "especially the principle of common but differentiated responsibilities", Xinhua reported.
He announced that China will contribute $6 million to a UN environment fund for projects and activities that help developing countries raise capacity for environmental protection.
He also promised that China will make available 200 million yuan (about $31 million) for a three-year international project to help small island countries, least developed countries and African countries tackle climate change.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband