China wants to curb sandstorms
Beijing: China plans to control sandstorms and prevent environmental degradation in Beijing and Tianjin cities in the coming decade, authorities said.
A meeting presided over by Premier Wen Jiabao discussed and passed the second-stage work plan for the Beijing-Tianjin Sandstorm Control Program (2013-22), reported China Daily citing a State Council statement.
The statement said Shaanxi will be included in the programme in 2013, as it is a source of sandstorms for the two metropolises.
Sandstorm-control work will also be expanded from 75 counties in five regions to 138 counties in six regions.
The government has focused on growing trees on barren mountains and stopped converting cultivated land to forests or grassland in 2007, said Wu Lijun, an official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof