China`s longest river faces worst drought since 1961
Beijing: China`s longest river Yangtze has been plagued by a severe drought, as this year it received the lowest rainfall since 1961, said an official with the river`s flood control and drought relief headquarters Monday.
The spring drought has affected Jiangxi, Hunan and Hubei provinces in the middle and lower reaches of the Yangtze River, with 40 to 60 percent less rainfall on average, Xinhua quoted Wang Guosheng, chief director with the headquarters as saying.
Some regions have been overwhelmed by the lingering drought, which has seriously affected irrigation and water supply, Wang said.
In spite of the increased rainfall that commenced in May, downstream provinces such as Hubei, Hunan, Jiangxi, Anhui and Jiangsu have received 20 to 40 percent less of it.
During the January-April period, the Yangtze River basin received 40 percent less rainfall than the past 50-year average.
A survey conducted by the headquarters` hydrographic office predicts that during the flood period (May to October) the Yangtze River basin will receive a normal quantum of rainfall, though it will come at an uneven proportion.
The severe drought followed by heavier rains could lead to flooding in the river`s upper stream, the report said.
"Even in a severe drought, we have to be alert on flood control along the Yangtze River," said Wang. "It remains a challenge to safeguard the region from flooding."
The Yangtze River basin extends over a vast territory along its length of 6,397 km, and the regions along it are frequently plagued by natural disasters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO