Church threatens to protest against Western Ghats` report
Thiruvananthapuram: Adding to the controversy over the central government`s order based on the Kasturirangan panel`s Western Ghats report, the Kerala Catholic Bishops Conference (KCBC) Saturday also threatened to launch a protest.
"At least 2.2 million people will be affected as they live in the Western Ghats area and it`s our duty to help them," said KCBC president Archbishop Andrews Thazhathu.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy`s assurance Friday that the central government`s order would not undermine the farmers` interest in the state has not detracted the protesters.
Hours after the of environment and forest ministry came out with the order Thursday, violence broke out in several parts the state, as protesters ransacked vehicles in Kozhikode and Kannur districts and engaged in stone pelting injuring policemen.
The Left opposition has called for a Kerala shutdown Monday to protest the order, which they say is detrimental to the farmers of the state.
"The government has taken on the people by forcing the Kasturirangan report. Now they say this is not the final report. They have lost people`s confidence and we decided to hold a shutdown to protests this indiscriminate act," said Left Democratic Front convener Vaikom Viswan.
However, Kerala State Biodiversity Board which heads the three-member committee of the state government noted that the order`s implementation would be done under the Environment Act and not the Forest Act.
"It`s baseless to think that people will be evicted after this order gets implemented. The report will not affect the common man`s interests," added the Board official who did not wish to be identified.
The five conditions in the order, applicable in the state`s 123 villages, would include no mining, no setting up of thermal plant, restricts buildings to less than 20,000 square metres, no township project to exceed 50 hectares, and no setting up of industries classified in the red category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks