Clean Ganga drive: Centre gives clearance to 6 new sewage treatment plants
Zee Media Bureau/Shruti Saxena
New Delhi: Taking a positive step towards cleaning the holy river Ganga, after Prime Minister Narendra Modi pledged to rejuvenate it on a priority basis, the Centre has given clearance for six new sewage treatment plants (STPs).
Sanctioned under the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) plan, the STPs will be set-up in Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh; Beur, Karmalichak and Saidpur (Patna) in Bihar, and Budge Budge and Barrackpore in West Bengal.
The estimated cost of the whole project will be Rs 1058 crore.
Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar was quoted saying by a leading daily that these new plants will add up the capacity to treat sewage in these cities/towns. The Centre will bear 70% of the cost of these new projects, the minister added.
Cleaning up the river Ganga has been on top of the National Democratic Alliance government`s agenda.
Recently, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced an integrated Ganga development project with a budget of Rs 2,037 crore. The project will be called Namami Ganga, Jaitley announced in his maiden Budget.
Apart from this, several other action plans for the cleaning up of Ganga like setting up of toilets in villages and towns, treating industrial effluent and municipal sewage, setting up of crematoriums etc are too lined up under the Clean Ganga mission in the next couple of months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report