Clean Yamuna march to Delhi begins
Mathura: Over ten thousand devotees and volunteers started their 10-day march to Delhi from Vrindavan demanding substantial efforts to keep the Yamuna river clean.
The protesters are expected to reach Delhi on March 10, where they would hold an indefinite dharna near the Parliament.
The participants included saints, volunteers, Bharatiya Kisan Union activists and members of religious and social groups.
"Our two major demands are that at least 50 percent of water from Hathini Kund barrage is released into Yamuna and concrete steps are taken to stop the discharge of pollutants, effluents and sewer waste into the river by drains of Delhi," President of Yamuna Rakshak Dal, Sant Jai Krishna Das said.
It should be ensured that drains from Delhi to Allahabad do not discharge pollutants into the river, he said.
"We would be satisfied only if discharge of drain water of Delhi and other areas into Yamuna is stopped and parallel drains on both side of river are constructed for the flow of drain water," he said.
Earlier some three thousand activists of Yamuna Rakshak Dal worshipped and bathed Yamuna in Mathura and Vrindavan.
Meanwhile, the district authorities made an elaborate arrangement to manage traffic during the march.
"The traffic was diverted on seven different routes to ensure smooth flow of traffic," SSP Pradeep Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead