`Climate-influencing` pine forest particles appear out of thin air
Washington: A new study has found that coniferous trees emit pine-scented vapors that form particles, apparently out of nowhere, and reflect sunlight or promote cloud formation.
Joel Thornton , a University of Washington associate professor of atmospheric sciences and second author on the paper, said that in many forested regions, particles apparently form from thin air.
The study shows the chemistry behind these particles` formation, and estimates they may be the dominant source of aerosols over boreal forests.
Scientists have known for decades that gases from pine trees can form particles that grow from just 1 nanometer in size to 100 nanometers in about a day.
These airborne solid or liquid particles can reflect sunlight, and at 100 nanometers they are large enough to condense water vapor and prompt cloud formation.
In the new paper, researchers took measurements in Finnish pine forests and then simulated the same particle formation in an air chamber at Germany`s Julich Research Centre.
Results showed that when a pine-scented molecule combines with ozone in the surrounding air, some of the resulting free radicals grab oxygen with unprecedented speed.
The radical is so desperate to become a regular molecule again that it reacts with itself and the new oxygen breaks off a hydrogen from a neighboring carbon to keep for itself, and then more oxygen comes in to where the hydrogen was broken off, Thornton said.
Boreal or pine forests give off the largest amount of these compounds, so the finding is especially relevant for the northern parts of North America, Europe and Russia.
The study is published in journal Nature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Gold price inches down on steady dollar, Fed rate hike remains on cards
- Curfew lifted from Kashmir after 51 days, restrictions continue in parts of Srinagar, Pulwama
- Unfazed by controversy, Haryana's Anil Vij says he would have donated more to Dera Sacha Sauda
- Lakme Fashion Week 2016: What made Emraan Hashmi's ramp walk more special! – Details inside
- Heart attack and stroke prevention: Ways to reduce your risk!