Climate models over predicted global warming
Washington: A new study has revealed that out of 117 predictions, made in the 1990`s to the actual amount of warming, three were roughly accurate and 114 overestimated the amount of warming.
The study`s author told Fox News that on average, the predictions forecasted two times more global warming than actually occurred.
Climate scientist John Christy, a professor at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, said that it shows that there really is something that needs to be fixed in the climate models.
Christy said that he looked at 73 climate models going back to 1979 and every single one predicted more warming than happened in the real world.
Meanwhile, Melanie Fitzpatrick, a climate scientist with the Union of Concerned Scientists, told the publication that the climate models will likely be correct over long periods of time, but there are too many variations in climate to expect models to be accurate over two decades.
Christy said he believes the models overestimate warming because of the way they handle clouds.
Answering to why the models over-predict, the study revealed that an overestimate of the power of CO2 as a greenhouse gas could be one of the reasons.
The study is published in the journal Nature Climate Change.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram