Cloud physics lab to come up at Mahabaleshwar
Pune: Union Minister for Science and Technology, Vilasrao Deshmukh, today laid the foundation stone of a High Altitude Cloud Physics laboratory at the hill station of Mahabaleshwar near here.
The Rs 35 crore laboratory which will be monitored by Pune-based Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) is the first of its kind aiming to collect data on cloud formation and impact of air pollution on the process.
Speaking on the occasion, Deshmukh said the research on rainfall pattern at the lab would start from June with the onset of the monsoon and also help weather scientists in analysing the reasons behind formation of high and deficit rainfall zones in the region.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, who was present on the occasion, said Mahabaleshwar was the ideal location for setting up the laboratory with its location at the height of 1438 meters above sea level in the Western Ghats range.
The data collected at the lab would also help in better prediction of the monsoon and planning of agricultural operations, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'