Cloud physics lab to come up at Mahabaleshwar
Pune: Union Minister for Science and Technology, Vilasrao Deshmukh, today laid the foundation stone of a High Altitude Cloud Physics laboratory at the hill station of Mahabaleshwar near here.
The Rs 35 crore laboratory which will be monitored by Pune-based Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) is the first of its kind aiming to collect data on cloud formation and impact of air pollution on the process.
Speaking on the occasion, Deshmukh said the research on rainfall pattern at the lab would start from June with the onset of the monsoon and also help weather scientists in analysing the reasons behind formation of high and deficit rainfall zones in the region.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, who was present on the occasion, said Mahabaleshwar was the ideal location for setting up the laboratory with its location at the height of 1438 meters above sea level in the Western Ghats range.
The data collected at the lab would also help in better prediction of the monsoon and planning of agricultural operations, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents