Colombian volcano erupts, evacuation ordered
Bogota: The Galeras volcano in southern Colombia erupted on Saturday, shooting rock and ash and prompting authorities to order the evacuation of about 8,000 people.
No one was killed or injured in the eruption. But officials warned that the volcano could remain volatile.
Galeras, located in the Andes mountains near Colombia`s border with Ecuador, erupted 10 times in 2009. Most people living in the vicinity have grown used to the alerts and refuse to evacuate when ordered to by local authorities.
Thousands of revelers celebrating the annual Black and White Carnival in the nearby city of Pasto were startled by Saturday`s eruption but the festivities carried on.
A massive eruption of the Galeras volcano killed 10 people in 1993.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Premier League 9: Beleaguered R Ashwin finds support in spin legend Muttiah Muralitharan during tough phase
- China, Japan growth to slow sharply in 2016, IMF warns
- Ghaziabad school evacuated after bomb threat
- Anushka Sharma kicks the butt in 'Sultan' new still—See inside!
- Bring back Kohinoor diamond, gift it to Jagannath Temple: BJD MP