Come clean on energy, people tell Airtel chief
New Delhi: Disappointed over the breakdown of talks between telecom giant Bharti Airtel and Greenpeace over a timeline for disclosing its carbon emission, thousands of people sent emails to the Airtel chief demanding the same.
According to a statement by Greenpeace, the environmental NGO, people bombarded Bharti Airtel`s chief Sunil Bharti Mittal with e-mails after the telecom giant backtracked from its earlier assurance of committing to a timeline for disclosing carbon emission and a clean energy roadmap.
"About 16,000 mobile users across India have sent e-mails to Sunil Bharti Mittal. Instead of responding positively to the mails and making these announcements, the company chose to block the mails," the statement said.
Samit Aich of Greenpeace India said that it was Mittal`s responsibility as a market leader to create a massive shift towards clean energy pathway in times of climate change.
"It is an opportunity for Bharti Airtel to set an example for others to follow. Such initiatives will create a win-win situation both in favour of business and the environment at large," Aich said.
Greenpeace had urged Airtel to publicly disclose the carbon emissions of its entire business operation and establish progressive emission reduction targets.
It also added that Airtel should shift the sourcing of 50 percent of its energy requirements towards renewable energy sources and phase out diesel use in its business operations by 2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price