Committee to ascertain feasibility of trimming rhino horns
Guwahati: The Assam government has set up a committee to ascertain the feasibility of trimming horns on translocated and stray rhinos in the state.
The committee invited opinions on the pros and cons of trimming of horns as an experimental measure to help save the population growth of translocated rhinos in Assam and for rhinos that often stray out of the rhino-bearing areas like Kaziranga National Park, Pobitora Wild Life Sanctuary, Manas National Park, etc.
An official release today said individuals or organisations can also inform the panel, set up by Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) and Chief Wildlife Warden, why trimming of horn must or must not be done giving proper justification.
The written opinion along with identity and contact details of the individual/organisation should reach the panel on or before March 30.
With a subject line of `Opinion on proposed trimming of rhino horns`, the opinions can be emailed to pccf.Wl.Assam@gmail.Com or sent to the address: The Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife), Assam, Forest Department, Basistha, Guwahati-29.
Meanwhile, prominent environment activist group Nature`s Beckon has opposed the government move saying it would affect the biological growth of the animal and the risk from poachers would continue.
"The horn is a part of a rhino`s biological growth. With its help, they select mate and go for breeding. So removing the horn will be detrimental to the rhino population," Director of Nature`s Beckon, Soumyadeep Datta said.
The rhinos also use their horns for several behavioral functions like defending territories, protecting calves from other rhinos and predators, maternal care, digging for water and breaking branches, Datta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read