Congressmen ask Obama to sell green tech to China
Washington: With China showing interest
in acquiring green technology, four US lawmakers have asked
President Barack Obama to redirect stimulus funding towards
the purchase of advanced energy technology from US-owned
manufacturers for heavily polluting Chinese power plants.
In return for these services, China would "sell-back"
some of the more than USD 800 billion in debt held by it.
In a letter, the four Congressmen urged Obama to
pursue an agreement to redirect stimulus dollars towards the
purchase of Best Available Control Technology (BACT) equipment
and services from American-owned manufacturers to be employed
at existing or future coal-fired power plants in China.
The signatories to the letter are Congresswoman,
Cynthia Lummis, and Congressmen, Rob Bishop, Phil Gingrey and
"China has recently expressed an interest in obtaining
green technologies to produce energy in a more environmentally
responsible manner. We view this as an important opportunity
for the US to advance our trade interests, incentivize
high-paying American technology and manufacturing jobs, reduce
global emissions of traditional pollutants, all while paying
the national debt," they said.
"China is one of the largest holders of US securities
– around USD 800 billion. China is also the largest carbon
emitting nation in the world. This is the same nation building
a new coal-fired power plant almost weekly in order to meet
their ever-growing energy demands," Lummis said in a release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez