COP-11 ends with agreement on resource mobilisation
Hyderabad: The ongoing UN biodiversity convention here concluded early today with the parties agreeing upon a framework for resource mobilisation for conservation of biodiversity.
"I think the most important achievement is that we made it our goal to achieve the unfinished work that was done in Japan, which was resource mobilisation. However, after intense negotiations and tremendous efforts by the entire team and great cooperation by all the parties, we did manage to achieve that goal," Union Environment Minister Jayanti Natarajan said.
She said it was a matter of pride that India hosted one of the largest conferences in which over 14,000 delegates from 172 countries participated.
The Plenary of the Convention began yesterday evening, but it took a long break to enable the delegates to come to an agreement on the issue of funding.
It met again in the small hours of today after reaching an agreement on resource mobilisation.
India, which assumed presidency of the convention on biodiversity, had taken the lead to help find a way out of the logjam on the issue of resource mobilisation.
The ambitious goals, known as Aichi Targets to be achieved by 2020, have been set for protection of biodiversity.
AGLIndian officials, who were trying hard to work out an agreement on the funding issue, said a proposal was being discussed to double the allocation for bio conservation till 2015 which means the funding would increase from about USD 6 billion to USD 12 billion till then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof