Copenhagen accord a partial success: Jairam Ramesh
Varanasi: Minister of State for
Environment and Forests Jairam Ramesh has said that the
accord at the recently held Copenhagen summit on climate
change was not a failure for India, but a partial success for
The Minister, who was here on a day`s visit to review
the results of pollution control efforts of different
government agencies in the river Ganga told the media that
India had partial success at the Copenhagen negotiations.
He rejected the opposition claim that Copenhagen was a
He, however, maintained that the Copenhagen accord has
certain inbuilt hazards and the developing world, especially
India, has to be wary on those accounts.
When asked about them, Ramesh said, "the foremost risk
is that the developed world could demand an end to the Kyoto
However, the accord was a "partial victory" for the
country, he said.
"Finally, the accord is a partial victory for BASIC
Group comprising Brazil, China, India and South Africa when it
wrested three important benefits from President Obama at
The US gave in to our proposals on global goals and
the legally non-binding nature of the accord.
On monitoring and verification and, in particular, on
the US proposal of analysis/ assessment, we said
consultations/analysis with the former being done in a manner
to respect national sovereignty. This was also accepted."
He said that India bargained at the summit from the
point of strength and "we did not enter into any binding
agreement upon us."
"We had a Laxman Rekha for us for the negotiations and
we did not cross it rather we created a space within that
Laxman Rekha for collective bargaining with USA and others
with the support from the BASIC countries," he added.
When questioned about the prospects of the accord, he
said, "How the accord will work, I can`t say now because there
are negotiations that will continue on the multilateral
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof