Crows are as clever as your seven-year-old!
Auckland: Aesop`s fable that told us how smart the thirsty crow was. Scientists have now discovered that crows are as intelligent as a seven-year-old child.
Their abilities to make tools, such as prodding sticks and hooks which they use to pick up out grubs from logs and branches, have been counted for their smartness.
Scientists experimented with six wild New Caledonian crows to challenge their understanding of cause and effect.
The tasks were all variations of the fable in which a thirsty crow drops stones to raise the level of water in a pitcher.
In the water displacement task, crows worked out how to catch floating food rewards by dropping heavy objects into water-filled tubes.
The crows demonstrated an ability to drop sinking rather than floating objects, solid rather than hollow objects, to choose a high-water level tube over one with low-water level, and a water-filled tube over one filled with sand, the researchers said.
“The birds` understanding of the effects of volume displacement matched that of human children aged between five and seven,” said Sarah Jelbert from University of Auckland, New Zealand.
These results are striking as they highlight both the strengths and limits of the crows` understanding, said the study published in the journal PLOS ONE.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels