Cuba plans to increase forest area
Havana: Cuba is developing a National Forest Programme to increase the nation`s freen cover, the Granma official daily reported.
The director of Cuban ministry of agriculture`s forestry department, Isabel Russo Milhet, said the programme would increase forest land by 2.3 percent to 29.3 percent of the country`s total area by the end of 2015, reported Xinhua.
Cuba has already achieved some "tangible results" in working to increase forest land and is improving an early fire warning system, Russo said.
According to official figures, before Cuba`s revolution in 1959, only 13.4 percent of national territory was forested land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cristiano Ronaldo might win the Ballon d'Or but Lionel Messi is the best: Luis Suarez
- Rape was there since earth's creation: Haryana BJP women's cell chief
- Ugly spat in Parliament - Renuka Chowdhury calls Harsimrat Kaur 'Kachra': Know what happened
- Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for rail passengers in less than Rs 2
- India may approach Britain on bringing back Kohinoor