Cuba plans to increase forest area
Havana: Cuba is developing a National Forest Programme to increase the nation`s freen cover, the Granma official daily reported.
The director of Cuban ministry of agriculture`s forestry department, Isabel Russo Milhet, said the programme would increase forest land by 2.3 percent to 29.3 percent of the country`s total area by the end of 2015, reported Xinhua.
Cuba has already achieved some "tangible results" in working to increase forest land and is improving an early fire warning system, Russo said.
According to official figures, before Cuba`s revolution in 1959, only 13.4 percent of national territory was forested land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!
- 7th Pay Commission: 23.5% hike in salaries, minimum pay increased to Rs 18,000 per month; arrears to be paid this year
- These MPs may become ministers if PM Modi goes in for Cabinet reshuffle - List Inside
- SHOCKING VIDEO of Pampore attack surfaces online; terrorists can be heard firing indiscriminately - WATCH
- 7th Pay Commission: LIVE streaming of FM Jaitley Cabinet briefing