Cuba plans to increase forest area
Havana: Cuba is developing a National Forest Programme to increase the nation`s freen cover, the Granma official daily reported.
The director of Cuban ministry of agriculture`s forestry department, Isabel Russo Milhet, said the programme would increase forest land by 2.3 percent to 29.3 percent of the country`s total area by the end of 2015, reported Xinhua.
Cuba has already achieved some "tangible results" in working to increase forest land and is improving an early fire warning system, Russo said.
According to official figures, before Cuba`s revolution in 1959, only 13.4 percent of national territory was forested land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!