`Cuckoos use multiple disguise to fool other birds`
London: Cuckoo birds use multiple disguise to lay their eggs in other birds` nests, to avoid raising their own chicks.
While studying the behaviour of common cuckoos, Cambridge University researchers found that social learning or learn from the behaviour of others might play a larger role in animal mimicry or the art of disguise.
Cuckoos are known as brood parasites, which mean that they sneak their eggs into other birds` nests so that they don`t have to raise their own chicks.
Some female cuckoos have evolved feathers that resemble a sparrow hawk, a common predator of song birds. These disguised, or mimicking, cuckoos are able to approach the nests of other birds, like reed warblers, without being attacked by the original owner of the nest.
The mimicking cuckoos come in two different forms either gray or reddish-brown and a the study shows whenever reed warblers become brave enough to attack intruding cuckoos, other reed warblers in the area take notice.
According to the researchers Rose Thorogood and Nicholas Davies, reed warblers that witness other warblers attacking a cuckoo are more likely to defend their own nests against mimicking cuckoos of the same colour.
However, cuckoos of the other colour are still able to fool the reed warblers and sneak into their nests without being attacked, the study said.
The study suggests that the social information spread among reed warblers about which mimicking cuckoos to attack has led to the evolution of both gray and reddish-brown colour in the cuckoos, who remain a successful brood parasite.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery