Dachigam Park closed to allow Hanguls to breed
Srinagar: To create a conducive atmosphere for endangered Hanguls to breed, authorities have closed the Dachigam National Park for visitors who have been thronging the scenic sanctuary in large numbers.
The Wildlife Warden has cancelled entry passes to the Park with immediate effect, an official spokesman said.
"The step has been taken to provide a conducive atmosphere for the endangered Hangul or Kashmir stag for breeding as they are going through fawning season at present," the spokesman said.
"Heavy rush of tourists over the past few months had disturbed the ecological balance and there was apprehension that animals might run away from the park if human interference continued," an official of the Wildlife department said.
The authorities had opened up the park for eco-tourism earlier this year. However, there have been instances of visitors violating regulations in the park.
The heavy influx of vehicles inside the park had forced the animals to stay in higher reaches, the official said.
Dachigam National Park is located 22 kms away from Srinagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections