Day after opening, rhino carcass recovered in Kaziranga
Guwahati: A day after the Kaziranga National Park was opened for this tourist season, forest guards Saturday recovered a one-horned rhino`s carcass with its horn missing.
Park officials said the rhino carcass was spotted during patrolling in Agaratoli range of the forest. The carcass bore bullet injuries and its horn was chopped off by suspected poachers, the forest officials said.
Friday, Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain opened the park for this tourist season and inaugurated the jeep and elephant safaris. The authorities have pressed into service at least 17 elephants for the safari. A total of 120 tourists, including over 60 foreigners, visited the park on its opening day.
"The carcass bore bullet mark injuries and its horn was chopped off, indicating it to be a case of poaching. However, the rhino was killed Wednesday," said park director N.K. Basu.
In another development, forest guards along with police have arrested three poachers, involved in killing the rhino two days back. The police have also recovered one .303 rifle and some ammunition from their possession.
Police said the three, including one from Nagaland, confessed to their involvement in killing the rhino. Police investigation is on to recover the horn.
This is the 24th rhino killed inside the park this year. Although the Assam government chalked out several strategies to stop poaching of the one-horned rhino inside the protected areas of Assam, the government efforts are yet to bear fruit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Separated Indian, Pakistani siblings meet in UAE after 48 yrs
- CPI(M) leader Sushanta Ghosh slapped in West Bengal court premises
- On eve of Greece visit, Putin says problems with EU can be solved
- President Mukherjee lists 8 steps to resolve issues between India, China
- READ: What Ashish Nehra has to say about his Viral Photo with Virat Kohli