Daying Sanctuary bans entry within premises
Itanagar: Daying Ering Wildlife Sanctuary authorities in East Siang district of Arunachal Pradesh have prohibited entry sans permission within its premises.
The move followed recent `Salt Lick` ambush laid by hunters, killing of a bird and disappearance of two camera trappings from the sanctuary, official sources informed here today.
There had been restriction of hunting and poaching to some extent in the sanctuary in past two years.
The case of disappearance of two camera trappings, of five cameras installed in different locations under mysterious circumstances installed by WWF team, is serious enough to track the movement of poachers deep within sanctuary, sources said.
"Since the cameras were installed along easily visible site, the hunters might have taken it away so as to avoid getting caught in the cameras," informed the sources.
On the other hand, Salt Lick ambush is also found laid in some locations of the sanctuary.
The poachers mostly hunt deer through `Salt Lick` ambush as salt attracts animals like deer, sambar.
A team of Daying Ering Wildlife Foundation Eco-Development Society (DEWFEDS) an NGO working on wildlife and forest conservation in the region being accompanied by staff of the sanctuary came across such a trap on Saturday in their survey into the sanctuary after getting several tip off from sources.
A bird was also found dead by DEWFEDS members who might have possibly died of poisoning or bullet shot, sources disclosed. There had also been cases of electrocution of fishes.
There had been cases of tress-passing in sanctuary under the guise of fishing through means like laying salt lick, traps, snares, poisoning of riverine ponds and even hunting by guns, sources said.
The DEWFEDS had submitted a report to the D Ering Wildlife Division with copy to PCCF Wildlife & Bio diversity here, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter