Dead birds seized from Chilika lake
Berhampur (Orissa): In yet another case
of bird poaching in Orissa`s Chilika lake, wintering ground
for lakhs of winged guests, wildlife officials have seized at
least four dead birds from a poacher.
The alleged poacher, identified as Kishor Sahu of
Ujala Gopinathpur village, was arrested while he was returning
from the lake yesterday, official sources said here today.
The seized birds, identified as gadwall and pintails,
were sent for postmortem, said a senior wildlife officer.
This was the fifth poaching case detected by wildlife
and police personnel in the Chilika lake during this winter,
in which at least six persons were allegedly involved. Though
36 birds of different species were seized, only three persons
have been arrested so far, sources said.
On Friday, the forest officials had seized 16 dead
birds, one pintail and 15 Indian moorhen near Sorana area.
Bird poachers turn active when lakhs of migratory
birds swoop down to spend winter in the Chilika lake.
Over four lakh birds have already descended on the
vast Chilika lake so far this year. The majority of them, has
however, congregated in the Nalabana bird sanctuary area.
Although poaching was noticed in the lake, hunting was
not reported from the bird sanctuary area.
The birds arrive from far-off places like the Caspian
Sea, Lake Baikal, remote parts of Russia, Central and
South-East Asia, Ladakh and the Himalayas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday