Dead migratory birds seized from Chilika
Berhampur: Wildlife officials today seized 37 dead migratory birds at Kalupada from a bag from the banks of the Chilika Lake as three poachers managed to escape.
"It is one of the biggest and the fifth seizure in the lake this winter," Wildlife Range Officer, Tangi S Ch Behera said.
"We have identified the poachers and will try to catch them," Behera said.
The dead birds were large whistling teals, purple moorhens and water cocks.
The three poachers who were suspected to have killed the birds managed to escape leaving behind their bag.
The meat of migratory birds is in demand in towns nearby like Balugaon, Khallikote, Berhampur and Bhubaneswar.
Wildlife officials said, "We have set up 19 camps with 50 staff members to keep constant vigil against poaching."
Millions of migratory birds flock to the 1,100 sq km lake with most congregating at the 15.59 sq km Nalabana bird sanctuary.
Over 8.77 lakh birds of 180 species visited the lake this winter, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP