Dead migratory birds seized from Chilika
Berhampur: Wildlife officials today seized 37 dead migratory birds at Kalupada from a bag from the banks of the Chilika Lake as three poachers managed to escape.
"It is one of the biggest and the fifth seizure in the lake this winter," Wildlife Range Officer, Tangi S Ch Behera said.
"We have identified the poachers and will try to catch them," Behera said.
The dead birds were large whistling teals, purple moorhens and water cocks.
The three poachers who were suspected to have killed the birds managed to escape leaving behind their bag.
The meat of migratory birds is in demand in towns nearby like Balugaon, Khallikote, Berhampur and Bhubaneswar.
Wildlife officials said, "We have set up 19 camps with 50 staff members to keep constant vigil against poaching."
Millions of migratory birds flock to the 1,100 sq km lake with most congregating at the 15.59 sq km Nalabana bird sanctuary.
Over 8.77 lakh birds of 180 species visited the lake this winter, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest