Dead migratory birds seized from Chilika
Berhampur: Wildlife officials today seized 37 dead migratory birds at Kalupada from a bag from the banks of the Chilika Lake as three poachers managed to escape.
"It is one of the biggest and the fifth seizure in the lake this winter," Wildlife Range Officer, Tangi S Ch Behera said.
"We have identified the poachers and will try to catch them," Behera said.
The dead birds were large whistling teals, purple moorhens and water cocks.
The three poachers who were suspected to have killed the birds managed to escape leaving behind their bag.
The meat of migratory birds is in demand in towns nearby like Balugaon, Khallikote, Berhampur and Bhubaneswar.
Wildlife officials said, "We have set up 19 camps with 50 staff members to keep constant vigil against poaching."
Millions of migratory birds flock to the 1,100 sq km lake with most congregating at the 15.59 sq km Nalabana bird sanctuary.
Over 8.77 lakh birds of 180 species visited the lake this winter, the officials said.
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 1
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part II
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part III
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part IV
- Panama Papers' database to go public on May 9
- Buddhadeb, Rahul share stage, call for saving West Bengal from TMC
- Must Read! Narayana Murthy's heartfelt letter to his daughter will make you miss your dad
- PM Modi meets Sushma Swaraj at AIIMS today
- AgustaWestland scam: Arvind Kejriwal asks Modi govt 'What are you waiting for?'