Dead migratory birds seized from Chilika
Berhampur: Wildlife officials today seized 37 dead migratory birds at Kalupada from a bag from the banks of the Chilika Lake as three poachers managed to escape.
"It is one of the biggest and the fifth seizure in the lake this winter," Wildlife Range Officer, Tangi S Ch Behera said.
"We have identified the poachers and will try to catch them," Behera said.
The dead birds were large whistling teals, purple moorhens and water cocks.
The three poachers who were suspected to have killed the birds managed to escape leaving behind their bag.
The meat of migratory birds is in demand in towns nearby like Balugaon, Khallikote, Berhampur and Bhubaneswar.
Wildlife officials said, "We have set up 19 camps with 50 staff members to keep constant vigil against poaching."
Millions of migratory birds flock to the 1,100 sq km lake with most congregating at the 15.59 sq km Nalabana bird sanctuary.
Over 8.77 lakh birds of 180 species visited the lake this winter, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Attention TV lovers, we have a good news for 'Sarabhai vs Sarabhai' fans! - Read more
- News Television Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags best news channel website honour
- Say Whaaat! Winners of Sunny Leone, Rannvijay Singha's 'Splitsvilla 9' already decided?
- Google-backed transpacific submarine cable between US and Japan goes live today!
- WOAH! Gautam Gambhir absolutely destroys Ravi Shastri - Here are his scathing comments