Dead Sea air filled with high levels of oxidized Mercury
Washington: A group of scientists has recently discovered that the atmosphere over the Dead Sea is laden with oxidized mercury which is causing interesting effects in the air above it.
Experts took measurements of the air quality above the lake, and identified several periods of extremely high atmospheric oxidized mercury.
Research scientist Daniel Obrist and colleagues at the Desert Research Institute in Reno, Nevada, and at Hebrew University in Israel led the work.
Obrist said that high levels of oxidized mercury are a concern because this form is deposited quickly in the environment after its formation.
After it``s deposited, mercury can accumulate through the food chain where it may reach very high levels.
“These levels are of major concern to humans especially in the consumption of mercury-laden fish,” said Obrist.
“We``ve found near-complete depletion of elemental mercury - and formation of some of the highest oxidized mercury levels ever seen - above the Dead Sea, a place where temperatures reach 45 degrees Celsius,” he added.
Such pronounced mercury depletion events were unexpected outside the frigid poles, as high temperatures were thought to impede this chemical process, according to the researchers.
The mechanisms involved in the conversion of mercury above the Dead Sea appear similar, however, to those in polar regions: both start with halogens, they claim.
Halogens, or halogen elements, are non-metal elements such as fluorine, chlorine, bromine and iodine.
The results were published online in the journal Nature Geoscience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack