Deepest corals in Great Barrier Reef discovered
Melbourne: Scientists mapping the Great Barrier Reef in Australia have discovered the deepest corals yet, 125 metres below the ocean`s surface where waters are as dark as night.
The remarkable finding of a community of reef corals at depths previously thought to be impossible was made on the outer edge of the Ribbon Reefs to the north of the Barrier Reef.
The groundbreaking scientific expedition has found further evidence that corals are more resilient and widespread than previously thought.
Pristine corals have been found deep below the surface in areas where surface reefs have been badly damaged.
The use of remotely operated vehicles has opened up a new world of coral exploration. The Catlin survey has looked at 30 coral reefs along the 2300 km Great Barrier Reef.
"The discovery shows that there are coral communities on the Great Barrier Reef existing at considerably greater depths than we could ever have imagined," said Pim Bongaerts from the Global Change Institute at the University of Queensland.
"Most important of all, these discoveries show just how little we really know about the Reef and how much more is yet to be discovered.
"When we began our survey, we were amazed to see significant coral communities at depths of around 60m. However, it is truly mind-blowing to see reef coral at more than twice that depth and four times deeper than most scuba divers can reach," said Bongaerts.
The plating Leptoseris corals were found at a depth of 125m.
The Catlin Seaview Survey supports the collection of scientific data so experts can better understand climate change and its risks.
The Great Barrier Reef expedition is part of a program to survey many of the world`s coral reefs, which are under threat from climate change through warming oceans, acidification of seawater, coastal pollution and unsustainable fishing practices, the report said.
The deep coral discovery was possible due to very calm weather, Dr Paul MuirMuir, a taxonomist from the Museum of Tropical Queensland and team member, said.
Scientists were able to deploy the robot on the very front of the Ribbon Reefs, an area usually too dangerous to anchor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!