Delhi government to ban plastic bags
New Delhi: The Delhi government has decided to impose a blanket ban on the manufacture, storage and usage of plastic bags in the capital.
"Any kind of plastic will be banned now, whether it is thin or thick. However, the ban has not been imposed on woven plastics," Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said after a cabinet meeting Tuesday.
The use of plastic to pack magazines, invitation and greeting cards will also be prohibited once the order is notified.
"Plastic bags choke drains and spoil the environment," said Dikshit.
She said that the penalty for using plastic bags will be decided by the industries department and Delhi Pollution Control Board.
A government document states that "no person, including a shopkeeper, vendor, wholesaler, retailer, trader and hawker, shall sell or store or use any kind of plastic carry bag for storing or dispensing eatables or non-eatable goods or materials".
A government official said that the notification shall not affect the use of plastic carry bags as specified under the Bio-Medical Waste Management and Handling Rules, 1998.
Earlier, the manufacture, stocking, distributing or selling of carry-bags made of virgin, recycled or compostable plastic less than 40 microns in thickness was banned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what