Delhi switches off power on Earth Hour
New Delhi: The national capital observed Earth Hour by switching off lights at India Gate, Qutab Minar, Humayun`s Tomb, the historic Red Fort, Central Park in Connaught Place and many other buildings at 8.30 p.m. Saturday.
Around 1,000 people gathered at Central Park in Connaught Place at an event organised by World Wide Fund for Nature (WWFN).
"This year`s Earth Hour is not only about saving power but it is also about promoting renewable sources of energy," said Rituparna Gosh from WWFN.
Singer Rekha Bhardwaj performed at the venue.
Bollywood actors Ajay Devgun, Tom Alter, Shruti Hassan and pugilist Mary Kom are supporting the campaign.
"As the world celebrates Earth Hour by switching off lights across the globe for an hour, it reminds us of the scarcity of energy," said Arun Gupta, managing director of NTL Electronics, a leading lighting manufacturer.
Said to be the largest environmental campaign in history, Earth Hour was first observed in Sydney in 2007 to send a strong message calling for action on climate change and environmental conservation.
India observed its first Earth Hour in 2009 with people in 56 cities switching off lights.
The event has gone global with organisers claiming that more than 6,000 cities and towns across 150 countries switch off their lights for the hour this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt