Delhi Zoo installs coolers for animals during summers
New Delhi: The Delhi Zoo has installed desert coolers and exhaust fans in all its enclosures to keep the animals cool during summers.
"We have installed around 70 desert coolers in almost all the enclosures, including those of tigers, lions, elephants and rhinos, with most of them having two coolers installed in each enclosure to keep the animals cool," Riyaz Ahmed Khan, Curator of the National Zoological Park, said.
The large animals were being given a bath at least twice a day, while in some enclosures like those of rhinos, hippos and buffaloes, the moats and polls were being filled with water and mud to allow them to soak, he said.
"We are giving the herbivores and primates seasonal fruits like watermelons and cucumbers, while carnivores are being provided with a reduced diet structure of meat so that digesting is easy for them. Plenty of drinking water has also been provided to the animals," a zoo official said.
visitors, as well as in the enclosure, so that animals can take refuge under them," he said, adding, "We have also been sprinkling water in the bird cages from time to time."
The authorities have also decided to launch battery-operated car service for visitors from next week.
"For the visitors, we are starting battery car services by next week to take them around the zoo during summer. We have also installed around 10 water coolers with RO purification systems around the park for visitors," he said.
The zoo also has several stalls selling cold beverages in pet bottles within its premises though there are concerns about visitors throwing the plastic bottles into the enclosures to tease the animals.
According to zoo officials, the visitor count has not gone down despite the heat as most of them come from the outskirts of the city. The Delhi Zoo attracts around 10,000 visitors including foreigners on weekends and holidays.
As part of the plan to make the National Zoological Park a world-class facility by 2030, the zoo officials are making a number of changes, including getting new species of animals.
"We are also in the process of making an enclosure with glass panes for the white tiger so that visitors can see it up close. There are plans to have glass panes for birds," the zoo curator said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah