Delhi`s carbon emission one-third of London
New Delhi: Amid hectic climate negotiations
at Copenhagen, a government report has said that Delhi`s total
carbon emission at 15.41 million tonnes is one-third of London
which emits 44 million tonnes of CO2 per annum.
The report which was tabled in Delhi Assembly today gives
a sector-wise break-up of emission of greenhouse gases (GHG)
with transport being a major contributor in view of a huge
number of vehicles plying on the roads.
Overall, transport, domestic, commercial and industry
emit 15.41 million tonnes (MT) of greenhouse gases per year,
says the report prepared by Delhi Environment Department in
collaboration with the Delhi University.
"In comparison to the city of London, with a total
carbon emission of 44 MT, Delhi`s carbon emission is one third
of it (15.41 MT)," the report says.
Massive increase in number of vehicles in the city from
28.48 lakh in 1996-97 to 56.17 lakh in 2007-08 resulted in
8.17 million tonnes of CO2 emissions, 38 per cent of which
was contributed by private four wheelers like cars and jeep
followed by goods vehicles (31 per cent), it says.
With the release of its carbon map, Delhi has become
the first state to measure its emissions after framing its
domestic action plan on climate change which was released a
few months back by Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh.
The report notes that the domestic sector accounts for
34 per cent of total emissions with 5.35 million tonnes of
emissions from kerosene, diesel (DG sets) and huge consumption
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents