Delhi`s carbon emission one-third of London
New Delhi: Amid hectic climate negotiations
at Copenhagen, a government report has said that Delhi`s total
carbon emission at 15.41 million tonnes is one-third of London
which emits 44 million tonnes of CO2 per annum.
The report which was tabled in Delhi Assembly today gives
a sector-wise break-up of emission of greenhouse gases (GHG)
with transport being a major contributor in view of a huge
number of vehicles plying on the roads.
Overall, transport, domestic, commercial and industry
emit 15.41 million tonnes (MT) of greenhouse gases per year,
says the report prepared by Delhi Environment Department in
collaboration with the Delhi University.
"In comparison to the city of London, with a total
carbon emission of 44 MT, Delhi`s carbon emission is one third
of it (15.41 MT)," the report says.
Massive increase in number of vehicles in the city from
28.48 lakh in 1996-97 to 56.17 lakh in 2007-08 resulted in
8.17 million tonnes of CO2 emissions, 38 per cent of which
was contributed by private four wheelers like cars and jeep
followed by goods vehicles (31 per cent), it says.
With the release of its carbon map, Delhi has become
the first state to measure its emissions after framing its
domestic action plan on climate change which was released a
few months back by Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh.
The report notes that the domestic sector accounts for
34 per cent of total emissions with 5.35 million tonnes of
emissions from kerosene, diesel (DG sets) and huge consumption
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- 'Dishoom' promotions: Catch Jacqueline Fernandez-John Abraham-Varun Dhawan on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Indian aid worker kidnapped in Afghanistan released
- Turkey will adhere to democratic principles, rule of law: Deputy PM
- Hallmark, ISI Mark, BEE Label –Know which certification marks are important for products you buy
- Sonam Kapoor in awe of Anamika Khanna, stuns in beige drape- Pic you cannot miss!