`Demolish illegal structures on Yamuna & Hindon flood plain`
New Delhi: The National Green Tribunal (NGT) today ordered demolition of all illegal and unauthorised structures in the flood plains of the Yamuna and the Hindon in Delhi, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh on a plea against the `concretisation` of the banks of the two rivers.
A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar also restrained any construction, temporary and permanent, which is being carried out without permission of the competent authorities in the flood zones of the two rivers.
The tribunal said illegal and unauthorized constructions were carried out in the flood plains despite notifications against such activity by Haryana and Delhi governments.
The NGT`s directions came on a plea by UP-based water conservationist Akash Vashishtha claiming construction of concrete farmhouses, plots, colonies and commercial set-ups in river-bed area damages the natural environment and is a grave hazard to well-being of humans and violates the Environment Protection Act 1986.
Apart from obstructing the natural course of two rivers, the constructions also exert massive stress on the river ecosystem due to discharge of huge amounts of waste into them, he said.
In his plea filed through advocate Amit Khemka, Vashishtha has alleged the construction of farmhouses and commercial establishments on flood plains permanently eliminates the possibility of recharge of ground water levels.
At several places along the Yamuna in Haryana and UP, local populations reported a significant lowering of the ground water level and similar is the condition along the Hindon in Ghaziabad and Gautam Budh Nagar, the petition said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!