`Demolish illegal structures on Yamuna & Hindon flood plain`
New Delhi: The National Green Tribunal (NGT) today ordered demolition of all illegal and unauthorised structures in the flood plains of the Yamuna and the Hindon in Delhi, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh on a plea against the `concretisation` of the banks of the two rivers.
A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar also restrained any construction, temporary and permanent, which is being carried out without permission of the competent authorities in the flood zones of the two rivers.
The tribunal said illegal and unauthorized constructions were carried out in the flood plains despite notifications against such activity by Haryana and Delhi governments.
The NGT`s directions came on a plea by UP-based water conservationist Akash Vashishtha claiming construction of concrete farmhouses, plots, colonies and commercial set-ups in river-bed area damages the natural environment and is a grave hazard to well-being of humans and violates the Environment Protection Act 1986.
Apart from obstructing the natural course of two rivers, the constructions also exert massive stress on the river ecosystem due to discharge of huge amounts of waste into them, he said.
In his plea filed through advocate Amit Khemka, Vashishtha has alleged the construction of farmhouses and commercial establishments on flood plains permanently eliminates the possibility of recharge of ground water levels.
At several places along the Yamuna in Haryana and UP, local populations reported a significant lowering of the ground water level and similar is the condition along the Hindon in Ghaziabad and Gautam Budh Nagar, the petition said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Greek parliament approves controversial new bailout measures
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing