Despite NGT orders, Ghaziabad trees rooted in concrete
Ghaziabad: Environmental considerations do not seem to be part of the civic agency`s development programmes in Ghaziabad, said an environment conservationist here bemoaning that despite a rap from the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on concretisation, the Ghaziabad Municipal Corporation seems unfazed.
The municipal corporation is concretising every inch of the green and open spaces along roadsides in Raj Nagar, Lohia Nagar and other residential areas, said Akash Vashishtha of Hindustan Environment Action Group.
The ministry of urban development had Sep 23 issued advisories and guidelines for the greening of urban areas and landscaping to all states and union territories, including Uttar Pradesh.
The ministry had asked chief secretaries and principal secretaries of the departments concerned of all states to avoid excessive tiling of pavements and instructed that it be done on pavements with heavy pedestrian traffic but the corporation is violating NGT guidelines, added Vashishtha.
The ministry also asked the planning divisions of all states to encourage growth of grasses and to leave space of at least 6x6 ft around each tree, besides avoiding digging of space around trees.
The Uttar Pradesh government, in an order, issued by the chief secretary, also asked all the divisions concerned to leave roadsides soiled and soft to allow ground water recharge and allow provision of only brick-on-edge or loose stone pavements where water could percolate.
According to Vashishtha, a city resident whose petition against indiscriminate concretisation is being heard by the NGT, the municipal corporation here is blindly going ahead with concretisation of soft, green open spaces along roads in residential colonies.
"Mindless concretisation is a permanent ecological hazard and the future generations will have to pay dearly for it. These politicians, councillors and officials of the municipal corporation and state government are not realising how fatal this act is. There is sheer corruption. The temperatures have increased drastically and its effects on life will be unforeseen," he said.
"I have been writing to them for past five years but they seem oblivious. The protectors have become destroyers," said Vashishtha, adding that "all rules, guidelines and laws seem meant to be flouted by them".
The petition is scheduled for hearing by the NGT Oct 25.
"The guidelines of NGT are being corrected where found violating," said municipal commissioner R.K. Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark