`Developed nations should take blame for carbon emissions`
Beijing: Refuting a report alleging that its carbon emissions are 20 per cent higher, China said the current climate change problems were caused by developed countries in their long history of economic development.
"When we look at the emissions of a country, we should take comprehensive, historical and holistic approach."
"We should not focus only on aggregate but also on historical and per capita emissions", Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman, Liu Weimin told a media briefing here.
The climate change issue is the result of cumulative emissions of the developed countries in the course of their economic development.
The developed countries have high carbon emissions in terms of the aggregate per capita emissions and the cumulative per capita historical emissions, he said developing countries including China are in the initial stages of industrialization.
They are facing the daunting task of eradicating poverty and improving people`s livelihood, he said adding that due to the special development stage there should be reasonable growth of their emissions.
"Despite this as a matter of fact, developing countries including China have taken a lot of active measures to cope with the climate change issue which has been well recognized by the international community", he said.
Liu was reacting to question on a recent report by Nature Climate Change journal stating that China`s carbon emissions could be nearly 20 per cent higher than previously thought.
China, the highest polluter of carbon emissions, produces about a quarter of global carbon pollution blamed for global warming.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’