Differences among CBD member countries
Hyderabad: Differences among member countries emerged on the second day of the 12-day United Nations conference on biological diversity (CBD), over setting national targets for expenditure for the next ten years, an official spokesperson said.
CBD Secretariat`s information officer David Ainsworth said differences emerged when Working Group 2 in the 11th Conference of Parties to the CBD (COP 11) began discussions on resource mobilisation. The focus was on how nations could raise money to implement the 20 goals set out by the Aichi Biodiversity Targets by 2020, he said.
"There was consensus among some developing countries that each party to the convention should set out a rigorous expenditure target. However, some countries opined that such a target may be premature at this stage," he said.
Aichi Targets include increasing the area of protected land across the world to 17 per cent and protected oceans to 10 per cent.
He said that Working Group 2 was likely to set up a contact group, for in-camera discussions with countries that opposed the proposal to set targets. "The meeting between the contact group and developing countries may continue tomorrow if no consensus emerges today," he said.
The issue of fixing a baseline year for expenditure targets also saw divergent views between opposing groups of countries.
"Consensus also evaded the issue of setting up a financial mechanism to raise resources. A second contact group is likely to be set up, if there is no consensus," he said.
It is estimated that over USD 300 billion is required by all 170 member countries to implement the Aichi targets till 2020, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof