Dinosaurs hot or cold-blooded?
Melbourne: A new research has added to the debate about whether dinosaurs were cold-blooded and sluggish or warm-blooded and active.
A team at the University of Adelaide, led by Professor Roger Seymour, has applied the latest theories of human and animal anatomy and physiology to provide insight into the lives of dinosaurs.
Human thigh bones have tiny holes -- known as the "nutrient foramen" -- on the shaft that supply blood to living bone cells inside.
The new research has shown that the size of those holes is related to the maximum rate that a person can be active during aerobic exercise. Researchers have used this principle to evaluate the activity levels of dinosaurs.
"Far from being lifeless, bone cells have a relatively high metabolic rate and they therefore require a large blood supply to deliver oxygen. On the inside of the bone, the blood supply comes usually from a single artery and vein that pass through a hole on the shaft -- the nutrient foramen.
The researchers wondered whether the size of the nutrient foramen might indicate how much blood was necessary to keep the bones in good repair. For example, highly active animals might cause more bone "microfractures", requiring more frequent repairs by bone cells and thus greater blood supply.
"The aim was to see whether we could use fossil bones of dinosaurs to indicate the level of bone metabolic rate and possibly extend it to the whole body`s metabolic rate.
"One of the big controversies among paleobiologists is whether dinosaurs were cold-blooded and sluggish or warm- blooded and active. Could the size of the foramen be a possible gauge for dinosaur metabolic rate?" Seymour said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17