Disbursement for green schemes fall after Jayanthi takes over
New Delhi: Notwithstanding warnings by a government body, Environment Ministry`s disbursement for forest generation programmes has drastically come down since Jayanthi Natarajan took over.
The ministry released only Rs 193.13 crore to the states in last financial year under the ambitious centrally-sponsored scheme National Afforestation Programme (NAP) for generating forests.
It is over Rs 100 crore less than the Ministry`s financial release to the states previous year.
According to an official document, the ministry, in 2011-12, had released Rs 303 crore to the states for increasing tree cover.
Jairam Ramesh was the Environment Minister before Natarajan took over in July, 2011.
During Ramesh`s stint in the Ministry in 2009-10 and 2010-11, the Ministry had disbursed Rs 318 crore and Rs 309.99 crore respectively to the states for forest generation under the NAF-- a 100 per cent centrally-sponsored programme.
The document also reveals that the Ministry released only Rs 51.06 crore to the states in 2012-13 under the forest protection programme called Intensification of Forest Management Scheme (IFMS). It is Rs 9 crore less than previous year`s release.
In 2011-12, the Ministry had released Rs 60.72 crore to the states.
The revelation comes amid concerns that the rapid decrease in the forest areas are posing serious danger to the country`s environment.
According to India State of Forest Report-2011, released by the Forest Survey of India, India has lost 367 sq km of forest cover.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA