Disputed dinosaur fossil auctioned in NYC
New York: Despite the Mongolian government`s objections and a judge`s order blocking the sale, a fossil of a fearsome T Rex relative has been auctioned in New York City.
Heritage Auctions says the 7.3-meter-long tarbosaurus skeleton sold for USD 1,052,500 Sunday. But the sale is contingent on the outcome of the auction house`s court fight with Mongolian President Elbegdorj Tsakhia.
A Texas judge Saturday ordered the sale stopped while the case plays out.
Elbegdorj lawyer Robert Painter today said he`ll ask a judge to find the auction house defied the court order. A Heritage spokesman didn`t immediately respond to an email.
Elbegdorj says the fossil may belong to his country. He notes Heritage says the skeleton came from the Gobi desert. Heritage says it was assured the specimen was obtained legally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi