Dolphin population increases in Chilika Lake
Bhubaneswar: With a recent census
finding 12 more Irrawaddy dolphins in Orissa`s Chilika lake,
the amphibians` population is on the rise in the lagoon,
official sources said Thursday.
As many as 158 dolphins were found in the lake
indicating a nine per cent increase in population in
comparison to the 2008 census, they said.
Of the total 158 dolphins, 129 are adults and 29
others are juveniles, including neonates.
While 86 were counted in the outer channel, 72 others
in the central and the southern sector of the lake.
To monitor the status and population dynamics of
Irrawaddy dolphin in Chilika, annual population estimation
is carried out during February by the Chilika Development
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- 'Iron Lady' Irom Sharmila to end 16-year fast on August 9, contest elections in Manipur
- PHOTO: Vivian Richards' son Mali captures Virat Kohli's knock in painting
- SHOCKING: Bernie Ecclestone's mother-in-law kidnapped in Brazil, abductors demand $36.5 m as ransom
- Badshah's Hindi cover of Justin Bieber’s 'Sorry' is out and, dayum, it's addictive!
- Subramanian Swamy wants discussion on Mahatma Gandhi killing in Rajya Sabha