Dolphin population increases in Chilika Lake
Bhubaneswar: With a recent census
finding 12 more Irrawaddy dolphins in Orissa`s Chilika lake,
the amphibians` population is on the rise in the lagoon,
official sources said Thursday.
As many as 158 dolphins were found in the lake
indicating a nine per cent increase in population in
comparison to the 2008 census, they said.
Of the total 158 dolphins, 129 are adults and 29
others are juveniles, including neonates.
While 86 were counted in the outer channel, 72 others
in the central and the southern sector of the lake.
To monitor the status and population dynamics of
Irrawaddy dolphin in Chilika, annual population estimation
is carried out during February by the Chilika Development
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand