Dolphin population increases in Chilika Lake
Bhubaneswar: With a recent census
finding 12 more Irrawaddy dolphins in Orissa`s Chilika lake,
the amphibians` population is on the rise in the lagoon,
official sources said Thursday.
As many as 158 dolphins were found in the lake
indicating a nine per cent increase in population in
comparison to the 2008 census, they said.
Of the total 158 dolphins, 129 are adults and 29
others are juveniles, including neonates.
While 86 were counted in the outer channel, 72 others
in the central and the southern sector of the lake.
To monitor the status and population dynamics of
Irrawaddy dolphin in Chilika, annual population estimation
is carried out during February by the Chilika Development
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside