Dolphin population increases in Chilika Lake
Bhubaneswar: With a recent census
finding 12 more Irrawaddy dolphins in Orissa`s Chilika lake,
the amphibians` population is on the rise in the lagoon,
official sources said Thursday.
As many as 158 dolphins were found in the lake
indicating a nine per cent increase in population in
comparison to the 2008 census, they said.
Of the total 158 dolphins, 129 are adults and 29
others are juveniles, including neonates.
While 86 were counted in the outer channel, 72 others
in the central and the southern sector of the lake.
To monitor the status and population dynamics of
Irrawaddy dolphin in Chilika, annual population estimation
is carried out during February by the Chilika Development
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you