Dolphin population rises to 152 in Chilika Lake
Bhubaneswar: Good news for wildlife lovers from the Chilika Lake. The population of Irrawaddy dolphins has increased by 4.6 per cent as compared to last year`s census.
"Irrawaddy dolphin population of Chilika lagoon is estimated to be 152 comprising 118 adults, 16 sub-adults and 18-calves and neonates," Ajit K Patnaik, the chief executive of Chilika Development Authority (CDA) said today.
As per estimation carried out in 2013 there had been an increase in population of the dolphins by 4.6 per cent as compared to last year, he said, adding the number of dolphins last year was 145.
The number of calves and neonates observed during the survey carried out recently is 18. A significant observation of 2013 population estimation was the sighting of dolphins in Northern sector. Eight dolphins were sighted from Northern sector, an indication of expansion of their habitat, he said.
Another significant observation is the increase in the number of calves and neonates, which is 38.9 per cent increase over the last year’s figure.
Chilika, about 70 km from here, is the natural abode of highly endangered Irrawaddy dolphins(Orcaella brevirostris).The present distribution range of this species is only in Asia - from Chilika to Indonesia within South East Asia and South Asia.
The total population of these animals in the world is estimated to be less than 7500 (highest 6400 reported from Bangladesh) and the population in Chilika is considered to be the highest single lagoonal population, Patnaik said.
A number of organisations, including state`s forest department, were engaged in the population survey which was carried out following line Transect method.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says