Dolphin`s hearing compound found in insects
Auckland: A hearing system compound hitherto thought exclusive to dolphins has been discovered in a large group of insects, including crickets and grasshoppers, researchers say.
Scientists from the School of Biological Sciences, University of Auckland, with colleagues from Plant and Food Research, New Zealand, led the research with engineers from the University of Strathclyde.
They discovered that the iconic New Zealand insects, the weta, rely on a unique lipid - a compound that includes oils and fats - to hear the world around them, according to an Auckland statement.
James Windmill, of Strathclyde`s Centre for Ultrasonic Engineering, said: "As engineers we are particularly interested in how sound interacts with certain materials and how it travels to and from a source. These findings help us to improve our fundamental knowledge and could inspire new systems in ultrasound technologies like biomedical and non-destructive testing."
"The discovery is interesting as previously only toothed whales were known to use this hearing system lipid. There are many similarities in the use of lipids to amplify the sounds and help both animal groups to hear," said Windmill.
"We don`t know why animals who are so far apart in evolutionary terms have this similarity. But it opens up the possibility that others may use the same hearing system," added Windmill.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!