Don`t read too much into Ramesh`s statement at Cancun: PM
Brussels: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday sought to downplay controversial remarks made by Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh at the climate change summit in Cancun, saying "don`t read too much into this".
The Prime Minister`s response came to a question after a joint press meet with EU President Herman Van Rompuy when a reporter asked him whether there has been any change in India`s stand on climate change in the wake of what Ramesh said.
Ramesh had yesterday created a flutter when he deviated from his prepared text, saying "all countries must take binding commitments in appropriate legal form", implying that India was ready to accept legally binding emission cuts, a move it has vehemently resisted.
"Don`t read too much into this," the Prime Minister told reporters seeking his views on the developments in Cancun.
India has come under pressure from South Africa and Brazil, who are part of the BASIC group, to commit to some kind of legally-binding cuts.
Ramesh claimed that there has been no shifting of the goal post. However, he went on to qualify that he stood by India`s position that it will not accept internationally
binding cuts "at this stage" because he does not know what the conditions that accompany them are.
The minister said he had articulated a "nuanced" position.
"There is no shift in the position, only nuancing," he told a news agency, pointing out that India was trying to find room for "manoeuvre" due to increasing pressure from developing nations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested