Dry weather affects rubber plants in Northeast India
Agartala: Immature rubber plants of two-four years are drying up in India`s northeastern region owing to prolonged dry weather, leaving the growers worried about their produce, an official said here Tuesday.
The symptoms begin with yellowing of leaves and eventually branches of the rubber trees becoming partially or completely dry.
"Contemplating this as disease, the anxious growers have been using chemicals on their rubber plants under the influence of a section of unscrupulous traders," a Rubber Board official said.
The Kerala-based Rubber Research Institute of India (RRII) under the Rubber Board has advised the growers that the symptoms are not of any disease and that there is no need to spray any kind of chemical.
"Experts have investigated the problem and the growers have been advised that the prevailing hot and dry conditions are causing the drying of plants. There is no need to use fungicide or any other chemical as it is not a disease," RRII Deputy Director SK Dey said.
"As an immediate measure, growers are advised to provide shade to young rubber plants until the rains arrive. The main trunk of the plant can be whitewashed with clay to protect it from direct sun. Mulching can also be provided at the base of the plants," he said.
The official said the symptoms will persist until it rains, but the measures would prevent the plants from drying out completely.
According to the Rubber Board official, over 40 percent of the 12,000 hectares of new rubber gardens have been affected in Tripura alone.
Weather department officials said the prevailing dry weather in the pre-monsoon period (March-May) is not a normal phenomenon. In most parts of the northeastern region, except Arunachal Pradesh, there has been a huge deficit in rainfall so far.
"Some rains are likely to occur in the next couple of days," an official said.
After Kerala, Tripura has the second largest area under rubber plant cultivation in the country with 60,000 hectare in the state producing about 26,000 tonne of natural rubber in 2010-11.
In India`s northeast, especially Tripura, rubber cultivation is yielding a better life for poor tribals, who were practicing `jhum` or the slash-and-burn method of cultivation, and dramatically altering the economy of the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt