E-Surveillance of tiger movement to be put in place
New Delhi: Government will put in place safeguards including `e-Surveillance` of tiger movement for preventing the death of big cats due to train hits.
The decision was taken at a recent meeting of senior officials from Railway Board and Environment Ministry convened by Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan in the wake of such a casualty reported recently near Chandrapur, Maharashtra, officials said.
In the meeting, the country-level status on tiger deaths due to train hits was reviewed and the on-going tiger monitoring protocol adopted in the field.
According to sources, the government has decided to identify sensitive habitats in Gondia-Chandrapur railway sector, based on the ongoing Phase-IV monitoring using camera traps and other methods.
The meeting also decided to put in place a system for sharing of "tiger spatial use data" in advance between Forest Department and the Railways through wireless on a day-to-day basis, with monthly joint review by senior officials of Railway and Forests at the division level.
The speed limit of trains will be restricted to 40km per hour in Gondia-Chandrapur sector and "e-Surveillance" of tiger movement using 24X7, intelligent, thermal cameras at sensitive points (near railway tracks) will be facilitated.
It has also been decided to organise wildlife sensitization workshops for railway personnel.
Officials from the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) will take lessons on tiger and wildlife.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog