Earth Hour 2010 aims to surpass last year`s target: WWF
New Delhi: As cities world over switch off lights for one hour tomorrow in an attempt to create more awareness about climate change, the WWF exuded optimism about Earth Hour 2010 initiative in India saving more energy than last year.
You may also want to see
Kids illuminate Earth Hour darkness
Climate change may have driven human evolution
Meat and milk production less harmful to planet than previously believed, admits UN
UN report that linked meat-eating with climate change flawed
Global warming threatens plant diversity
IPCC chief RK Pachauri refuses to resign over `one mistake`
Holy men in Kumbh Mela spread awareness about global warming
"Of all sectors, the power sector solely contributes a whopping 50 per cent to India`s total carbon emission. Under the Earth Hour initiative people are motivated to switch offtheir lights and electrical appliances from 8.30 pm to 9.30 pm on March 27.
This is a measure to instill awareness about depleting climatic conditions on Earth," says Aarti Khosla, Campaign Manager, World Wide Fund India.
Last year, the organisation was able to encourage saving of around 1200 mega watts of energy in India, "but this year we definitely plan to surpass this," points out Khosla.
Growing environmental threats - most recent devastating earthquakes in Haiti and Chile - have rung alarm for natural resource conservation at all levels.
United Nations secretary-general Ban Ki-moon has called Earth Hour "both a warning and a beacon of hope."
"Climate change is a concern for each of us. Solutions are within our grasp and are ready to be implemented by individuals, communities, businesses and governments around the globe," Ban said in a statement.
The United Nations will be joining will join the initiative along with many other landmarks around the world.
However, several other groups in India have also shown a keen interest on the occasion in creating awareness in the masses regarding the dire need to preserve natural resources.
"Climate change is a discrepancy created by persistent human exploitation. Hence, its cure lies only in a consistent and united human initiative...individual awareness and action is the key to combat climate change," says Aditi Mehndiratta, head `Sanrakshan`, nature conservation initiative of an NGO.
"The NGO has inspired lakhs of beneficiaries not only in India but across the globe to switch all their lights and electrical appliances. Along with this our followers would also sit in divine meditation on Earth Hour and pray for the strength of Mother Earth," adds Mehndiratta.
At the British council high commission in India, environmental films will be screened a day prior to the Earth Hour. "A film screening and photo exhibition is being organised in order to sensitise our staff and their family about the depleting state of environment. Apart from this, office lighting would be turned off from 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm," says Dan Chugg, spokesperson of the Commission in India.
In March 2009, people in India along with those in over 4000 cities in 88 countries participated in the third Earth Hour and officially switched off to pledge their support for the planet.
"Earth Hour demonstrates the determination of the world`s citizens for a better healthier world," says Earth Hour executive director, Andy Ridley.
"It brings together cities, communities, businesses and individuals on the journey to positive action on climate change."
A total of 121 countries and territories across all seven continents are expected to participate in tomorrow`s global climate action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo