E.Coli may hold key to turning plants into biofuel
London: Common stomach bug E.coli may hold the key to turning plants into biodiesel, which is hailed as a possible solution to reducing our reliance on fossil fuels, a team led by an Indian-origin scientist has claimed.
Biodiesel, made from either plants or used cooking oil, is already in use. But most vehicles that use biodiesel use reprocessed cooking oil, which is too expensive to work on a large commercial scale. For biodiesel to make a real impact, it would have to come directly from plants.
Now, researchers led by Professor Chaitan Khosla at the University of Stanford said the chemical process to produce cheap plant-based biodiesel could be within reach Experiments with E coli, they said, have hinted that the bacteria can help convert plant sugars into fatty acid derivatives -- a chemical more similar to soap, but a good
precursor of workable fuel, the Daily Mail reported.
However, they were not sure whether the bugs had enoughchemical "oomph" to be used commercially.
They then investigated whether there was a theoretical "limit" to the amount E. Coli can help to turn sugar into a fatty acid derivative -- that is whether the bacteria really
does have the power to unlock fuel from ordinary plants.
It appears the answer is, "Yes", the researchers said in a report published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
"The good news is that the engine that makes fatty acids in E Coli is incredibly powerful," said Khosla. "It can convert sugar into fuel at an extraordinary rate."
But this process is tightly controlled by the bacteria -- and fuller understanding of the biochemistry of E. Coli will be required, the researchers said. (More) PTI SKP AKJ
Khosla`s team are already working on this – having isolated the molecular engine that produces fatty acids in a lab environment.
"We want to understand what limits the ability of E. Coli to process sugar," said Khosla. "The question we were asking is like what limits the speed of my Honda to 150 miles an
So far, it appears that the bacteria limit the production to stop themselves being hurt by the fatty acids they produce.
The "defences" it uses are highly effective, but the researchers are already working on manipulating the bacteria to produce more. If successful, biodiesel could suddenly leap
from being a novelty to being a viable, commercial fuel.
"It`s closer to a barrel of oil from Saudi Arabia than any other biologically derived fuel," Khosla added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'