Edible bottles could replace plastic waste
London: Fancy a bottle that could be as edible and tasty as its contents and get rid of the plastic waste that such products currently generate.
Harvard University experts, working on the concept, have filled an orange membrane with orange juice, a tomato-flavoured enclosure with gazpacho (cold Spanish/Portuguese tomato-based raw vegetable soup) and grape packages with wine.
Biomedical engineer David Edwards hopes to create a prototype of the bottle out of WikiCells soon. "In the near term, we will be encountering WikiCells in restaurant settings` as a novelty item," he said.
WikiCells is an edible material created from a biodegradable polymer or plastic and food particles. Essentially, it is an egg-like membrane hard shell. It can be filled with a variety of flavours, including orange juice, wine or chocolate.
It could form either a layer that you could peel off a bottle -- or, one day, make the entire container. The product, a membrane created using a biodegradable plastic combined with food particles, could either be peeled off or potentially eaten whole.
"People in a village in Africa could become plastic bottle-free and make things for themselves. It`s really exciting from a humanitarian point of view," says Edwards, according to a Daily Mail report.
Edwards, professor at Harvard, plans to expand WikiCells to speciality stores and supermarts as a novelty item for restaurants.
But he hopes to produce a WikiCell machine that could allow people, especially in the developing world, to make their own bottles without relying on plastic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi