Edible bottles could replace plastic waste
London: Fancy a bottle that could be as edible and tasty as its contents and get rid of the plastic waste that such products currently generate.
Harvard University experts, working on the concept, have filled an orange membrane with orange juice, a tomato-flavoured enclosure with gazpacho (cold Spanish/Portuguese tomato-based raw vegetable soup) and grape packages with wine.
Biomedical engineer David Edwards hopes to create a prototype of the bottle out of WikiCells soon. "In the near term, we will be encountering WikiCells in restaurant settings` as a novelty item," he said.
WikiCells is an edible material created from a biodegradable polymer or plastic and food particles. Essentially, it is an egg-like membrane hard shell. It can be filled with a variety of flavours, including orange juice, wine or chocolate.
It could form either a layer that you could peel off a bottle -- or, one day, make the entire container. The product, a membrane created using a biodegradable plastic combined with food particles, could either be peeled off or potentially eaten whole.
"People in a village in Africa could become plastic bottle-free and make things for themselves. It`s really exciting from a humanitarian point of view," says Edwards, according to a Daily Mail report.
Edwards, professor at Harvard, plans to expand WikiCells to speciality stores and supermarts as a novelty item for restaurants.
But he hopes to produce a WikiCell machine that could allow people, especially in the developing world, to make their own bottles without relying on plastic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers