Efforts on to monitor Himalayan glaciers: Govt
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Minister of state for Science and Technology Jitendra Singh said that efforts are underway for the regular monitoring of the dynamics and climate studies of the Himalayan glaciers.
“Efforts are underway for regular monitoring of glacier dynamics, snow and glacier melting, geometrical changes and climate studies of the Himalayan glaciers,” Jitendra Singh said on Wednesday while replying to a question in the Lok Sabha.
The minister also said that a number of glaciers have already been taken up for long-term measurements on glacier-climate interaction by several government agencies.
While studies so far show the Himalayan glaciers are melting, the rate, amount and patterns differ.
“The Wadia Institue of Himalayan Geology in Dehradun has set up a number of Automatic Weather Stations to collect real-time weather parameter data at different altitudes in the glacierised areas of the Himalayas to assist and evaluate the climate change,” the minister said.
Jitendra Singh added that his ministry has also identified a few benchmark glaciers for continuous monitoring to understand their dynamics.
(With IANS Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'