El Nino may strike again, could reduce monsoon in India
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The El Nino weather pattern - the Spanish word for boy - is likely to return this year causing drought in some areas and flooding in others.
Australia`s Bureau of Meteorology and the US Climate Prediction Center have warned of increased chances that a strong El Nino will strike this year.
El Nino can cause flooding and heavy rains in the United States and South America and can trigger drought conditions in Southeast Asia and Australia.
Large parts of Australia`s east coast states have already been suffering from drought, damaging crops and livestock production in Queensland.
Talking about India, a strong El Nino could reduce monsoon rains that are key to its agriculture, curbing production.
An El Nino can be defined as a process in which the surface of the Pacific rises up, which may lead to warmer temperatures across the world. It is part of a cycle called the El Nino-Southern Oscillation.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read